I picked up this beauty at the supermarket, not really knowing what to do with it once I got it home. But it was so beautiful and calling out "buy me". So I did.
The Golden Nugget squash (aka Oriental pumpkin) looks like a slightly flattened mini pumpkin. They weigh approximately 2 pounds with orange skin and flesh.
I decided to make Golden Nugget squash tots. The sweet flavour of this squash makes a great side to go with...well...almost any dish.
1 golden nugget squash
1 tbsp avocado oil
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half vertically (cut just slightly to one side of the stem).
3. Scoop out the seeds with an ice cream scooper or spoon.
4. Cut the two halves into quarters.
5. Carefully slice off the skin of each quarter.
6. Cut each quarter into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a bowl and drizzle with avocado oil, salt and pepper. Mix evenly.
7. Spread cubes evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes (flipping cubes halfway through).
8. Serve as a side or eat 'em on its own!
Tip: Bake extra and seal in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes for a quick side for weeknight meals.
Golden Nugget squash is high in fiber, iron, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and niacin.