Do you ever struggle with variety at breakfast? Tired of eating the same old same old?
Well, the only "rules" around breakfast are the ones we put on ourselves. Why not have a salad with a healthy protein for breakfast? Or perhaps lentils, rice, and avocado? Or eggs with a baked sweet potato?
The best part is that you can prep these meals ahead of time and simply reheat in the morning for a quick, delicious and balanced breakfast that will give you lots of energy to start your day.
Here are 3 of my favourite unconventional breakfasts:
1. Rice bowls are a versatile breakfast. This breakfast has become a gamechanger for our household. It is a healthy, balanced breakfast that is oh so easy to prep in the morning. Not to mention delicious and keeps us satiated for hours!
Pro tip: Cook your rice and protein ahead of time (can stay in the fridge in an airtight glass container for 3 days). Optional to add some cooked mushrooms and/or tomatoes with broccoli sprouts for extra nutrients! Add half an avocado before serving and a side of fresh fruit. There you have it!
Ingredients - serves 1
Brown rice - 1/3 cup cooked
Lentils - 1/2 cup cooked
1/2 avocado - sliced
Cooked mushrooms - 1/4 cup (opt)
Grape tomatoes (halved) and broccoli sprouts (opt)
1/2 cup berries
1. Reheat the rice and lentils in the microwave.
2. Slice the avocado.
3. Assemble everything in a serving bowl. Add tomatoes and sprouts (if using).
2. Chicken salad. Yep, salad for breakfast. Cook extra chicken the night before and have it for breakfast the next day on a bed of salad plus a side of fruit. Get creative and switch up your proteins and salad choices to give you even more variety throughout the week.
Ingredients - serves 1
4 oz cooked chicken breast - sliced
garden salad - 2 hand fulls
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/4 lemon, juiced
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• 1/2 tbsp champagne (or white wine) vinegar
• ½ cup olive oil or avocado oil
• salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl or food processor, add garlic.
- Add mustard, champagne vinegar, lemon juice. Whisk.
- Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking (or processing) quickly until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pro tip: Make extra dressing and keep it in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
3. Taco eggs. Doesn't that sound amazing already? Enough said.
Ingredients - serves 2
1 tbsp avocado oil
1/2 cup cooking onion, diced
10 ounces ground meat (beef/chicken/turkey) or firm tofu cut into small cubes
1/2 cup white or black beans, rinsed and drained (opt)
4 eggs or 8 egg whites, whisked
1 avocado, sliced
4 lettuce leaves (Boston Bibb works well), washed and dried
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender (about 2 mins).
2. Add the meat or tofu and cook until browned. Add beans if using. Add a tablespoon of taco seasoning. Mix through.
3. Add the eggs (or egg whites) and stir until cooked. Remove from heat.
4. Scoop the egg mixture on lettuce leaves, add salsa (if using), avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately.
10 tsp hot chili powder
8 tsp smoked paprika
5 tsp onion powder
5 tsp oregano
3 tsp sea salt
3 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper to taste (opt)
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes to taste (opt)
Mix all the ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container. Keep in a dark, cool place for up to 3 months. Use on eggs, meat, fish, veggies, tofu, tempeh.
Pro tip: To save time, cook the protein ahead of time and keep it in an airtight glass container in the fridge. When ready to cook, simply toss it in the skillet with the eggs!
Hope you enjoy these breakfast recipes. Quite honestly, I would have any of these meals for lunch or dinner as well! Do you have any unconventional breakfast ideas? I'd love to hear them.